Wednesday, September 18, 2013

YOLO

This morning, Jon teasingly invited Ruby to go to work with him. She wagged her tail. I responded by promising to take her on a run if she stayed home with me. She wagged her tail. Jon made a counter offer. To which I reminded her that she would miss her run if she went for a car ride with Daddy. She looked contemplative, torn, a little confused, but continued to wag her tail. Jon said in a Ruby voice, "Oh well, it will still be the best day ever."

It's a running joke in our home that for Ruby every day is the best day ever. We laugh about it, because maybe it's her little pea brain that lets her live every day to the fullest, maybe it's her failure to understand time in the way we humans see it, or maybe she's just the only one of us who really gets it. In every pant of her tongue and wag of her tail she exudes YOLO ("You Only Live Once" for those of you over the age of 16, without texting teenage children). 

I'd been impressed by her optimism before, but this morning when she continued to view life through such rose colored glasses in spite of such disappointment, I was in awe.
My recurring epiphany that joy is not contingent on one's circumstances appropriately resurfaces today, as it would be the 29th birthday of my dear cousin Kevin. Before his life was cut short ten days ago, Kevin, like Ruby was contagious in his happiness. It seems his outlook on life was to not waste time on the unnecessary, but to capture every moment and make it more beautiful.
Team Spears running the Crater Lake Rim Half Marathon.
As his Facebook page fills with tributes, I wish he had heard all the good he brought into the world.

 "I will forever remember the feeling of you laughing while you had me in a hug."

"Kevin was genuine before all else - he had a way of loving and accepting himself that helped me and others to do the same."

"During your short time in this reality you made lasting impressions of an old soul on many great people. I am inspired to continue living and working to create a world you would be proud of." 

"Once, years ago, Kevin stole my journal and wrote down poems for me - ones that he had memorized and kept close to his heart. Timeless as always, deep and meaningful, these words he gifted me are too beautiful to keep to myself. The last line he wrote, "written in love by Kevin Spears". But what didn't he do in love?"

"As I look at this photo, I realize I have never seen you without a smile, living life to the 
fullest each and every day."

"My dear, sweet li'l bro and best friend passed away suddenly yesterday. I had just talked to him on the phone for an hour right before it happened. For that, I feel so blessed. In that last conversation, he sounded so happy and full of love and passion for life."
Enjoying God's creation with Kevin.
Not a moment of Kevin's life was in vain if he inspired those of us who continue on, to do so with a smile. We will be better people for having loved him.

No comments: